Startups and Entrepreneurship
Participants will receive basic instruction on principles for defining, launching, structuring, and building a promising technical venture, and experience in doing a few of the initial steps. Topics will include:
- Sources of innovative high-tech opportunities
- Business definitions; value propositions
- Competitive edge, distinctive competence, proprietary technology, IP protection
- Use models, product prototypes
- Business models, the business model canvas, partnerships
- Business pitches, vision and mission statements, mantras, corporate identity
- Market and sales planning; go-to-market plan; product marketing
- Financing and financial management of high technology ventures; forecasting models
- Leadership, management, human resource, and ethical issues
- Entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship.
At the conclusion of this module students should be able to:
- Understand the technology business start-up environment, especially the software industry
- Know principles, strategies, and tactics for creating a successful technical business.