Git and GitHub
Git is a powerful version control system allowing to record, access, and restore the history of projects. After setting up remotes on the internet or other network, Git is also a mighty collaboration tool.
In this workshop, we will:
- Explain what version control is and what the benefits are,
- Get you started with Git,
- Use the popular online Git repository hosting site GitHub to introduce a workflow typical of many companies.
- Windows users: install Git for Windows from https://gitforwindows.org/
- MacOS and Linux users: install Git from https://git-scm.com/downloads
- Sign up for a free GitHub account at https://github.com/
When using git to push to GitHub you’ll need to authenticate to GitHub, one way to do this is by setting up SSH keys for your account: